Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Princess and the Pea - Done!

I love this quilt. I really do. It was one of those that I saw (on Moda Bake Shop) and instantly said - I have to make that. And I did.

The honey bun is Soiree by Lila Tueller for Moda. And I added lace, large and small ric-rac and other trims between some of the layers. The one thing I have not done is add the pea. My bug would have that thing off and in her mouth in a heartbeat, so that will get added a little bit later in life.

This was one of my first times doing applique. I don't know if I am a fan or not. Although I do like how this turned out. I know you are supposed to stitch down the applique before you put the quilt together, but I didn't so the outline is quilted through all layers and I love it. The only other quilting was a few curvy lines and I chose to do it only on certain fabric strips. This was very thick to get through my little sewing machine so I used the wavy stitch on my machine with my walking foot to get as much help as possible.


I used an uber soft pink minky for the back and hi-loft poly batting so that it stayed as soft and fluffy and cuddly as possible. And believe me, it is. I am often found snuggling with this cutie. Even without the bug around.


The ruffle is a fabric that is turning up in most things I make for her. I bought a bolt of the colorful stripe when we were decorating the nursery. I had big plans for curtains, dust ruffle, basket liners, crib type things and other accessories. She has a valance. That's it. But that fabric is the backing on a twin size quilt, in this one, on her alphabet letters, and now that I think about it will probably be the binding on the butterfly jars as well. Love it.

(And I have to apologize for the wrinkles. I pretty much had to pry this from little hands to get photos and so we will just consider it well loved, not slovenly and wrinkled.)

1 comment:

  1. Super sweet! Great job on the applique for one of your first times. I have not attempted that yet. I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to applique, but first there are so many great projects I just want to piece! Maybe 2011 can be applique year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. Love the love.