Monday, April 5, 2010

My Neighborhood is on its way to NY

A while ago I saw this post on Bumble Beans asking for help. All you have to do is make a house block or two, no problem.

Well let me tell you, I had problems. I am a relatively new quilter. And I have a somewhat casual relationship with my 1/4" seam. Usually that is fine. I can get by, make it work, compensate, etc. But I had not worked with triangles. I don't think I like triangles. And they most definitely are not appreciative of my not-always-exactly-spot-on 1/4" seams.

After the first evening of puzzling through this I realized I had the wrong measurements. Duh. My next available evening I spent trying to salvage what I had already cut and started strip piecing. (I like to assembly-line anything I can. That's the lazy in me; or shall I say efficient.) But after great frustration I realized that was not going to happen. This block was kicking my butt. And that is not a good feeling.

So I pondered for a few days, looked at some other options, made more calculations and acknowledged that I don't like triangles. And found another way to get basically the same look. I got to it again and this time I cut all my peices too large so I had some wiggle room. And then I made one block. And it worked. So I made another block, and that one worked as well. So now I had to prove that I had mastered this house block thing so I made a neighborhood of houses. They are now on their way to NY to join the other houses. These are going to be some beautiful 'painted lady' quilts!


2 comments:

  1. I love your blocks. I, too have trouble with 1/4 inch seams and triangles! I made one "regular" house and three free-pieced ones (they look like the houses I drew as a little girl! Now I am trying to make Unruly cats to send to Tonya (Lazy Gal). You have a great blog. Take care.
    Mary C.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. Love the love.