Friday, July 29, 2011

Celebrating WONK - "Wonk indicates Humanity"

I loved this post and wanted to share. It is from Ginger at Wiener Dog Tricks

Here is probably one of my favorite parts, and there are many:

"I think we have to shift our heads aroud a bit about all of this Making we're tackling to get what we need. And it's exactly what Mab said: "If [we] want it to look like something from a catalog, then have it mass produced in a factory."

We need to make friends with Wonk. Invite it to tea. Service it biscuits. Ask it about its childhood. Consider its finer points and stop judging its obvious irregularities. Because when Wonk is present, it's a sign that an actual human has constructed the thing we're looking at. Wonk indicates Humanity."

And I need to embrace this. Because I also have the tendency to finish something and get a bit discouraged that it isn't quite what I thought it would be. Or maybe just let go of those expectations to begin with. And really enjoy the process.

I was talking to a friend the other day about things that maybe don't turn out like you want, maybe not quite perfect, maybe a little wonky. She said she gives those away. Funny, those are the ones I feel I need to keep. Almost as if they are not worthy of giving to someone else. Hmmm. Interesting perspectives, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. Love the love.